Sunday, July 29, 2012

My little heaven on earth...

It has been so long since I have written and I apologize. I guess I am getting back to the business of life, which is a good thing. Though it seems long and slow day to day, I definitely see improvement overall, and I am thankful. Just to keep you up, I am about 7 weeks or so out from the end of radiation. There is so much improvement since then, but still some lingering issues...muscle reaction to radiation, still some neuropathy in my feet, fatigue...but slowly dissipating.  I am on Tamoxifen and handling it pretty well.  Still learning lessons on patience and being gracious to myself!


Many of you know that our family has been involved with Joni and Friends family retreats for quite a few years. I was not able to attend the first 2 weeks earlier in the summer, but I am currently writing from camp!  Week 3 began today, and it is such a pleasure to be here. I certainly have some limitations, but have so many willing hands to help. They spoiled me with a room closer to the front porch where I serve. For those of you who don't know, it is a family retreat for families affected by disabilities. Volunteers are here to serve, celebrate and honor these families, and to be the 'hands and feet' of Jesus to them. There is a lot of laughter, connection, fun and growing during these days. I coordinate a front porch 'spa', where there are haircuts, massages, manicures and foot massages available to pamper these dear ones. It is an honor to be here, among wonderful friends, creating another year of memories and deeper relationships.


Thankful thoughts:

  • Safe travels today, and great help getting the porch set up. Very thankful for strong young men and women so willing to help!
  • The beauty of Spruce Lake Retreat Center.
  • A delightful driver to help me get here
  • Such encouragement from those that missed me other weeks
  • The organization (and woman) behind so much of this...as they say, all this from one broken neck! Joni is such an encourager, and many capable people serve so well with her
  • My coffee pot, sitting here on my dresser, ready to go at 6:30...mmm, I can almost smell it already!  :)  Yes, I brought my grinder and everything!




Ephesians 2:10

For we are God’s handiwork, created in Christ Jesus to do good works, which God prepared in advance for us to do.


This is our theme verse this week, and we will definitely be about the business of the Lord...as it should be at home as well.  It is with a more specific purpose that we do it here, in a more concentrated setting, but it is so good to carry this home.

Have a blessed week. Pray for me, that I will be wise in caring for myself as well as serving others well. It's such an honor.

Andi

No comments:

Post a Comment