Wednesday, September 26, 2012

What an anniversary...

All these dates just keep sliding by me, and I am remembering them vividly from last year. Don't think I will ever forget certain ones, like today. Getting a call while standing in the Walmart check-out line from my soon-to-be favorite surgeon in the world, confirming the diagnosis of breast cancer, and the type, and her recommended treatment. From day 1, I felt confident in the Lord's leading and in every step that the doctors placed before me. Not that it was without fear at times, but the bilateral mastectomy didn't surprise me. I believe the Lord prepared me from the day of my mammogram that showed 'issues'. I wasn't trying to be overly negative, but just had a gut feel. So, her phone call didn't shock me at all. I continued checking out while she reassured me I would be fine, it was very treatable...slow growing, and all that. Actually, we discussed treatment options at a later time, after an MRI confirmed more possible spots. Walked out to my car - called Buddy, my sister, a few others...and I did cry, but not as much as you may think.

It's almost surreal that so many steps have already been taken. I pray that I can digest fully all the things I have learned this past year. I wouldn't trade some of the things I have learned and dealt with for anything. I do wish it wasn't as hard on my family as it has been at times, but they haven't shown me that too much. Inconveniences, annoyances, sure. But, also a deep sense of the reality of Christ walking with me each step of the way. Even on the darker days, the unsure moments, His peace was always there. So very thankful for that.

It's late and I need to sleep...but I did want to jot down a few thoughts.

As always, my THANKFUL THOUGHTS:

  • The refreshment of rest.
  • The blessing of meals provided when very needed.
  • Umbrellas in the rain at a hockey game!
  • Hot tea during same game.
  • My safe place at home at the end of a long evening. Never thought it would be a big deal to make it to a game! So glad to be there tonight to cheer on our girls!
  • Thoughtful cards and calls from good friends
  • Hearing my mom's voice every day when I call - 'Howdy-de-doo!' or 'Good morning, sunshine!'. Very aware that is a gift not to be taken for granted.


Rest well everyone. I have more to share...will do so tomorrow.
Andi

1 comment:

  1. It IS interesting the things that come to mind as we reflect on the path we have been on, especially if it has been rather challenging. I know that I will also look back at "anniversary" dates as well.

    Right now I am working through the idea that I am done with treatments. Going through things I wrote in December, January, and February as the new path unfolded before me. Thinking about how good my family and friends have been to me/us. What a burden-lifters they have been in so many ways. Such faithfulness! Wondering how God will use me to encourage others who will be in a similar situation some time in the future.

    ReplyDelete